Saturday, December 27, 2008

It's All Relative

Christmas Day is the one day of the year that the princes and I see our relatives.

In the first place, we don't have very many. I was an only child and both my parents have passed away. On my dad's side, I have one cousin who is 18 years older than me and has nothing to do with me. There were some bad feelings at some point - not of my doing - but they separated our families. On my mom's side, she had two half-siblings, one of whom is still living and invites us for the holiday.

We gather at their home, along with their daughter, her husband and their grown daughter for a wonderful meal and catch up on a full year of events. After a couple of hours, others begin to arrive, usually my cousin's in-laws. That is our cue for departure.

As we leave, there are always promises of more frequent get-togethers. But somehow it just doesn't happen. Life gets in the way. Instead, we just see each other at Christmas.

No comments: